Sunday, July 21, 2013

Hours of Fun with Plastic Cups

While shopping at Costco the other day I happened to run across a giant bag of red plastic cups. I normally try to avoid impulse buys, but something came over me and so I loaded my shopping cart up with 240 red plastic cups and brought them home to my kids.


These are some of the shots I got of Birdie trapped in a cup tower. 
I took them with my phone so the quality is not great, 
but you get to see the great fun she was having. 

 At first they both just kind of stared at me. But as I took the cups and began to stack them up one at a time, they began to show interest. Slow smiles began to stretch across their faces. Soon I was able to just set back and be a spectator as Birdie and Bug began creating. First pyramids, then cages, then towers. Once their creations were complete they would punch and kick and chop the cups down until they were left with a pile on the floor. Then they would start again. The best part about using these cups as building materials is that they stack up so nicely in to a corner when you are through. They take up hardly any room. My kids have had hours of fun with these cups. Not bad for an impulse buy!

6 comments:

  1. That is such a fun idea, Kristin. I think it's great that your impulse buy could result in this fun activity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen somewhere how to make a plastic cup igloo - you might need more cups but it would be cool to do!!
    Sort of like this: http://www.bit-of-green.com/crafts/crafts-plastic-cup-lamp but made into an igloo rather than a complete ball. There are better tutorials online but I couldn't find them.
    Such a cool idea, I will definitely be keeping an eye out for discounted cups from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog! I just wanted to let you know that I've added you to my blog roll: www.amyroachsenter.blogspot.com

    Thanks for posting!

    Amy Senter
    ASpoolofThread
    www.aspoolofthread.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. She does seem to be really having fun! I never saw paper cups as a plaything. They’re like larger Legos, except you have to be careful in stacking them. It’s a cheap way to entertain kids.

    Jerry Wood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Jerry. These cups have been a great investment. Sometimes it is the simplest things that are the most fun.

      Delete

I am really sorry about the word verification. I have been getting TONS of spam and this is the only way I can get a handle on it. I do love to hear what you have to say and hope that you will still take the time to comment. Thank you.