Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pi Day or I'm a big nerd

Here at Casa de Sense of Wonder, we find reasons to celebrate. Whether it is random holidays or made up holidays, we find that taking time to make an occasion of things allows us to slow down and enjoy friends and family and company.

An example of this is Pi Day. Every March 14th (3.14) we set aside a whole day to be...well...irrational. We make pi charts and pi graphs, and lots and lots of pie. Here are some photos of Pi Days past...

 My favorite pi plate!

 My favorite pie (cherry)

One of my very favorite people, making a silly face, and holding her own handmade cheese and basil pizza pie.

Here are some of our favorite pies for Pi Day...

Savory pies
Pizza pie (with fresh herbs from the garden)
Homemade chicken pot pie
Individual meat pies made in muffin tins
Tomato and zucchini tart

Dessert pies
Apple pies
Cherry pies
Chocolate pudding pies
Pecan pies
Lemon icebox pies

Some ideas for celebrating Pi Day with your family...

Have a Pi Day scavenger hunt
Take the first few digits of pi (3.14159265) and print them on index cards. Hide them around the room and see if your children can find them all. Once you have them, try to put them all together in order.

Play with the numbers

There are lots of sites that have the first million or so digits of pi. Print them out and make a paper chain

Circles

The circumference of a circle is slightly more than three times as long as its diameter. The exact ratio is called pi. Use a hula hoop and a piece of string to show your kids how this works.

Use circular shaped cookie cutters to make circles out of play dough!

Eat Pie!

Find your favorite pie recipes or just go get some frozen pies and start celebrating!

I hope you all have a fun (and filling) Pi Day! Let me know if you plan on participating!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I would love to have you link up at my Pi Day celebration.
    http://missmoe-thesearethedaysofmylife.blogspot.com/2012/03/happy-pi-day-link-up-with-your-pi-day.html

    ReplyDelete

I am really sorry about the word verification. I have been getting TONS of spam and this is the only way I can get a handle on it. I do love to hear what you have to say and hope that you will still take the time to comment. Thank you.