Friday, January 20, 2012

Baby Play Friday: What's Cookin?

Have you ever tried making your own baby food? I used to love doing this for my little ones, and it is so easy. Bug is way past the baby food stage now, but I thought I would share with you some of his favorite meals from back in his baby food days.

When he began eating solid foods, I kept things pretty simple. I pureed yellow squash or peaches. I mushed up banana or avocado. But as he got a bit older, I had fun coming up with new tastes for him to try. One of his favorites was steamed carrots and beets and chicken broth. It was sweet and savory at the same time and Bug just gobbled it up.

take
 3 to 4 medium carrots
 1 medium beet
2 cups of chicken broth
cup of water

Wash and peel the carrots and the beet and cut them in to small cubes about 1 inch thick.
Steam the carrots and the beet together in the water and chicken broth for about 20 min. Save the left over liquid.
Place the carrots and the beet in the food processor along with 1/2 cup of your liquid.
Puree until it is smooth. You can add more liquid until it's smooth.


Another recipe that Bug ate up was a yummy blend of kale and banana. I carefully washed a full bunch of kale by dunking it in to a tub of water to get any grit out, then tore the leaves off of the stems and in to small pieces. I steamed them for around 6 or 7 minutes. After steaming the leaves I added them to the food processor. I added some of the liquid left over from steaming them in to the processor  until the puree was smooth. I then added 1 ripe banana and continued to puree.

I know this sounds strange, but the sweetness of the banana really complemented the strong taste of the kale. He loved it.

Do you have any tips for babies and toddlers you would like to share? Link them up below. Any post about babies and toddlers is welcome. And be sure to check out some of the great post left by other bloggers.

Add your link below and please link back to my site so your readers can check out everyone's ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am really sorry about the word verification. I have been getting TONS of spam and this is the only way I can get a handle on it. I do love to hear what you have to say and hope that you will still take the time to comment. Thank you.